AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE FROM:
A soccer story—for boy and girls alike—just in time for the World Cup!
“Vini! Come! The field calls!” cries a girl as she and her younger brother rouse their community—family, friends, and the local fruit vendor—for a pickup soccer (futbol) game. Boys and girls, young and old, players and spectators come running—bearing balls, shoes, goals, and a love of the sport.
“Friends versus friends” teams are formed, the field is cleared of cows, and the game begins! But will a tropical rainstorm threaten their plans?
The world’s most popular and inclusive sport has found its spirited, poetic, and authentic voice in Baptiste Paul’s debut picture book—highlighting the joys of the game along with its universal themes: teamwork, leadership, diversity, and acceptance. Creole words (as spoken in St. Lucia, the author’s birthplace island in the Caribbean) add spice to the story and are a strong reminder of the sport’s world fame. Bright and brilliant illustrations by debut children’s book illustrator Jacqueline Alcántara—winner of the We Need Diverse Books Illustration Mentorship Award—capture the grit and glory of the game and the beauty of the island setting where this particular field was inspired.
Soccer fan or not, the call of The Field is irresistible.
ILLUSTRATOR BLOG TOUR
I had an amazing time chatting and corresponding with some of my favorite bloggers and podcasters. Such an honor to be featured - check out the interviews below!
- Mr. Schu (Trailer Release)
- Publisher's weekly Interview "It Takes a Village"
- KidLit Nation Webinar (w/ Author Baptiste Paul)
- This Picture Book Life Interview
- 7 Impossible Things Before Breakfast
- The Children's Book Podcast w/ Matthew Winner #427
- Nerdy Book Club
- Latinxs In KidLit
- Lets Talk Picture Books
EVENTS / APPEARANCES
- Feb 24th: Andersons Kid Lit Breakfast
- March 14th: Anderson's Bookstore In-Store Event
- March 15th: Book Stall In-Store Event
- April TBD: Texas Library Association Conference
- April 21st: SCBWI Spring Thaw - Pitch Perfect 2
- June9th: Soho House Event w/ The Chicago Red Stars
- June 10th: Printers Row Lit Fest
- June 14th: Riverside Public Library
- June 25th & 26th: ALA Conference, New Orlean